BAM Art Prize 2018
Terms & Conditions
1. The $5000 prize is awarded to the artist of the single winning entry. This new, national, non-acquisitive prize is for a work of art in any medium.
2. The entry must be the original work of the artist.
3. The entered work(s) of art must not have been a prior recipient of an art prize. Please contact BAM with any questions.
4. A limit of two works per artist can be submitted.
5. All entries must be for sale and BAM will retain a 30% plus GST commission on all sold work.
6. There are no restrictions on dimensions of entries. However, limitations may apply regarding logistics of display in the finalists exhibition. If your entry is larger than 400cm x 400 cm (2D), or 300 cm x 300 cm x 300 cm (3D), please contact BAM to ensure the work will be able to be displayed in the exhibition. Audio visual works are eligible for entry. If your work is selected as a finalist, the Curator will speak with you about presentation/display. Free-standing and plinth/sculptural work are both permitted.
7. Works may comprise of more than one element. However, if a work is deemed to have too many elements, it may not be eligible for entry. Works comprising of more than one element (i.e., diptychs) will be counted as a single entry if they are presented to be sold as a single item. Please email the Curator with any questions: email@example.com .
8. There will be two rounds of judging. The first round is a preselection round and the judges will select, from images provided, the works that will hang in the exhibition for final judging.
9. Image of each entry must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org . Entries must be received by midnight on October 21, 2018. All artists whose works have been preselected for exhibition will be notified by October 23, 2018.
10. Each entry must be accompanied by one JPEG image of 72dpi for web use and one JPEG image of 300dpi for print. Images must be between 500k and 10mb file size. All JPEG images must be clearly labeled with the artist’s name, title of the work, medium and RRP.
11. A $40.00 entry fee shall be payable for a single work entry and $65.00 for a two work entry. Payment is to be made online on the BAM website as part of the submission process. The entry fee is non-negotiable and non-refundable, even if the work is not preselected for exhibition.
12. Selected finalist artworks only must be delivered to BAM by 5pm on November 5, 2018. All works must be ready for display, including associated materials required for hanging/display. Please email the Curator with any questions: email@example.com
13. The artwork must arrive with a clear label containing the artist’s name and title of art piece.
14. All due care will be taken by BAM in handling the artwork. However BAM will not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever caused to any work while in BAM’s custody or in transit. Insurance for the artwork during the exhibition and in transit is the sole responsibility of the artist.
15. All 2D entries must be ready to hang and must have suitable rings and hanging wire. A stretched canvas is considered framed but may be further framed at the artist’s discretion.
16. The work of finalists will be judged by a panel of judges, which will include a regional gallery director, a practising artist/arts manager, and an art writer. In 2018, judges include Susi Muddiman OAM, Sharne Wolff, and Simha Koether.
17. The winners of the $5000 first prize and the highly commended prizes will be announced at the official opening on November 9, 2018.
18. The exhibition will be open November 9 - November 30, 2018, from 10am to 5pm.
19. All artists selected as finalists by virtue of their entry submission authorise BAM to publish their works free of copyright, totally or partly, in all/any electronic and print publications including catalogues, magazines, newspapers, folders, posters, brochures, promotional video clips, slide shows, on the BAM website, its Facebook page and Instagram accounts, as well as other social media platforms, in connection with this art prize.
20. BAM reserves the right to exhibit the SELECTED FINALISTS’ ARTWORKS ONLY for the exhibition period.
21. All exhibited artworks not sold during this period, or before November 30, must be collected by 5pm on November 30.
22. The judges’ decision is final on all aspects of awarding the prizes and no correspondence or appeal will be entered into or considered.
23. A decision by a majority of the judges on any issue is deemed a binding decision of the judges as a whole.
24. Freight costs and all other charges relating to delivery and collection of artworks entered into the BAM Art Prize are the sole responsibility of the artist. Artworks will not be accepted unless delivered and returned free of all freight and other charges.
25. Artists will be credited in all promotional activities where artwork images are reproduced.